open text

30 December 2006 at 15:36

crabbit scrabble rabbit

A couple more days, and the nightmare of forced goodwill comes to a close. The low point so far was, well, I'd rather not talk about it. Except to say that .. no, I refuse to piss myself off by thinking about it.

But you know how some people feel compelled to win at everything they do? For example, if they're playing tennis or something, they sulk if they lose and they crow if they win.

But it's not just playing to win, it's also talking to win. Compulsive winners can't listen, because they're too busy talking over the top of you. Or they approach every conversation as a debate that they have to win, even if they have to invent "facts" or swear that black is white.

So imagine you have a Christmas visitor who
  1. needs to win every conversation, and
  2. needs to win every game of Scrabble
and you get talking with them about Scrabble.

I shouldn't let such things make me crabbit. I've been told that these people are simply insecure. But that's like a guy I knew who used to beat up his wife, and anyone else who got in the way, "because really he's shy". Yes, and Joe Stalin had indigestion. Poor Hitler couldn't sell his paintings.





PS - I'm a part-time hut manager for a writer who may want to network with other writers - he could try authorsblogs.

Blogger almax said...

Like you, I look forward to January 2 so that we all get back to being miserable as sin again. But while the season of 'goodwill' is still extant I battle my way through the ether on an ancient PC which only functions sporadically (and even then very badly)to wish you a happy and prosperous 2007  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! Nice to see the residual crabbitness arising at the first opportunity. I don't suppose you won then. Anyway, you've already had your New Year, but it's a gale outside now. I'll stay in and have a quiet night watching drunk nutters on the telly falling around up Princes Street! No help to anyone. Hotboy  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Happy New Year my dear friend Rob!
~xo
Lee Ann  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Ali, thanks. Any network port in a storm.

Hotters, I'm not daft enough to get involved in a game in such circumstances. I'd have to enrol in the Bad Boy Church fellowship Advanced Course in pre-emptive badness. Please send the application form and the 150%discount.

Lee Ann - happy nanbugg year to you, may the year brings you loads of love and good surprises to more than offset the difficult stuff.  

~

Blogger Cindy said...

Dear Rob:

I am too busy playing with this cursor thing-a-majig that is snowing plus signs to actually read this post with any thoughtfulness.

Thank you for the shiny toy,
cinders  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Cinders, Glad you seemed to enjoy the snowflake cursor as much as I did. Hsppy New Year to you.  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! So it's a snowflake cursor thing, is it? I thought your bloggy had caught dandruff, but it's a cursor thing .... how nouvelle! Big help! Hotboy  

~

Blogger ion said...

Ordinarily I could agree that a competitive guest is not the best guest. But this was Scrabble, for goodness sake- one has to make exceptions. Nizoral is very effective for the dandruff problem. Happy new year to you.  

~

Blogger Lil Bit said...

Just wanted to pop in & wish ya a Happy New Year (sans crabbit. lol) ;)  

~

Blogger Kelly said...

My nephew has not quite learned how to loose at games so we had to endure some sulking.  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Rob, I do understand what you are talking about with the "winners". They are no fun to be around.  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say Mr Rob McJ,

Happy New Year to you. I am once more safely ensconsed in Kalimbuka after a frightfully long trip home, and Mrs M and myself wish you all the best for 207, and especially that you recover from your crabbiness.

Long discussions about Scrabble pale in comparison to two-hour conversations about wheely-bins, one of which I once had to sit through at a colleague's 'leaving do'.

Doviko sends his warmest greetings.

MM III  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! Let's mock the less fortunate! Here's a joke. Have you unheard of it? The dustman calls in Oz:
Where you bin?
I bin on holiday.
No, where you wheely bin?
I wheely bin in prison, but I always tell folk I bin on holiday.
Dearie me. Hotboy  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

I like the little falling stars with the pointer.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

ion - to these people, scrabble is life.

lil, lee, eric and MM, thanks, a little empathy goes a long way at this time of year.

MM - In the UnHeard Of calendar, 207 was several years ago. Perhaps you mean a Malawian 2007? I watched a BBC documentary this weekedn, made in 2005 but the end credits stated MMXV - 2015! Bring back proofreaders. My comps to Mrs. M and Dovey.

Hotters - dearie me indeed, that hasn't helped.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page