open text

06 November 2006 at 09:37

unheard of beauty

One of my favourite films is American Beauty. Like my friend hotboy, I share Lester's work motivation. I have a job where the management is so dysfunctional that they have no idea what I do or how I do it. Basically I can do whatever I want (as long as I keep my students happy). And I work only 2 days a week, but never 2 consecutive days so as not to risk burnout. And I take about 9 weeks holiday a year. Can you outslack that? I think not.

Mind you, I can't afford a car or any vices. I have to manufacture all my own alcohol, which is isn't a lot and anyway the job leaves me plenty of time for brewing - funny how everything balances out.

But there's bad news now - my retirement plan, which was to be funded by an inheritance from my aunt, is now in tatters. When she read out her will to the family, she explained that she has blown most of her dough in the last few years. So in the future I'm going to have to start earning furiously, and my 2-day working week may soon be a thing of the past. But on the plus side, the shock of full-time work might kill me.

Blogger keda said...

bummer! you and me both babe. ;)  

~

Blogger keda said...

ps do you have a recipe for potato vodka??  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! Your auntie is lying! Your mum must have told her about the hut and the creekit bat assasin! Working full time would surely kill you at your advanced state of decrepitude. You don't want to make to retirement age anyway. Those old crumbly flatheids just get more and more miserable! Start meditating immediately. It's your only chance! This would help! Hotboy  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

vodkeda - you need fragile glass equipment and tubes, maybe not the best combination with the spudlets?

hotboy - how would it help? I understand how the distraction could be useful, but I get that while reading books (perhaps even yours). Is there any proven physical benefit from sitting around gasping and eye-rolling?  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Sorry about the will!

Tomorrow, mini movie with me...come see!  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! Flatheids just don't get ra bliss! Only the truly flatheided could compare reading a book with ra bliss!! Dearie, dearie me! That doesn' t help at all! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! There will be no physical benefit to you because you're probably too far gone in decreptitude already. So it's no help at all! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Lil Bit said...

Dang! - I'd say you've had *the* job.

"American Beauty"... yep, another great movie. =)  

~

Blogger Polyman3 said...

Is there such a thing as a functional family??  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

lee ann - see you there

poly - good point  

~

Blogger Brown eyed girl said...

Happy HNT!
~xo  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page