open text

16 November 2006 at 10:30

HNT mr. big idiot

Last week I had a minor altercation with another dog owner, after our dogs had a fight.

I'm actually glad it happened, because it started me thinking about the complex world of dog-walk etiquette. Each time you meet another dog, you have a complex interaction of at least 4 unpredictable animals - 2 owners and 2 dogs.

I decided it was time to practice recalling my dog before she actually engages with the other dog, so that I'd be able to prevent fights. Because, by the time two dogs have actually started to fight, they're usually deaf to anything their owners say. If you shout at them, to a dog's ears you are barking and joining in the fight, and that makes things worse.

Anyway, I was doing the usual bushwalk this morning, and the headphones were playing Free's "Mr. Big." It was just at the point where all the instruments lay down a headbanging monotonous riff while the bass takes off on a solo that, on a good day, can turn your brains inside out, in a good way.

We were just at that part of the forest where the path narrows to single file as the trees close in on all sides. At the other end of this tunnel of trees, there appeared this great slobbering alsatian (aka german shepherd) and his owner. Naturally my dog ran ahead to make contact. I dragged my attention away from the headphones and called her back. She ignored me, and was almost upon the other dog when I let her have it. My scream at her came out extra loud because:




Unfortunately, the alsatian took my shouting as a challenge, and was pleading to its owner to be allowed to kill us. Meantime, my dog came trotting obediently back to me. Success! So I began backing us both out of the tunnel to make way for the other pair. The guy could have given me some space to do this, but they kept advancing on us.

As they drew level with us, the dog was roaring at mine, while the owner was making what he thought were calming purring noises. But since I'm an honorary dog pack member, I was able to hear the guy through dog ears. To a dog he was actually going "Grrr Grrr!". Joining in the snarling. No wonder his dog's a psycho killer. The guy turned to me and said "he's very gentle really."

Some days I wonder why everybody except me is an idiot.

After they moved on, my composure was gone and the rest of Mr. Big was wasted on me.

Fortunately, the headphones were on random play, and the next song they chose was My Brother Jake. In the first 3 seconds, there are 3 descending chords that tell you that everything's going to be okay, everything balances out in the end. A mere handful of chords can shake your molecules into harmonious alignment. Fantastic.




HNT_1

If you missed previous HNTs, you can access all the old half baked thursday posts here.



This is a freelance Taoist blog.
Every true story contains a wee lie.
And every lie contains a grain of truth.


PS - If you are using the new version of Internet Explorer (i.e. IE v7), the links in this post were unclickable earlier today. There was a fault in IE7 or in my template, either way I've fixed the template. Only wasted most of the day tracing it.

If you're still using IE 6, I'd say don't upgrade yet. There's more info here.

Better still, ditch IE and use Firefox.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God do I love dogs. Way more than I love people.
HHNT!  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

felicity - dogs always love you back  

~

Blogger lime said...

well glad it didn't get any uglier than that. your dog is a pretty one!

HHNT  

~

Blogger Michelle said...

That gave me the heebie geebies! hehe Mean dogs scare me!! Glad yours was ok!

HHNT :)  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

most excellent! great doggie you have, too. happy hnt :).  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Some days I wonder why everybody except me is an idiot."

I wonder that same thing!

Glad your dog is ok:)  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That dog really looks terrifying!

Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger keda said...

very pretty dog. i'm not a big alsatian fan since being attacked by an apparently 'sweet' on aged 4.
'orrible things.

happy hnt. sorry you missed yr song. being cock-ear blocked by a dog is just bad form.
happy hnt babe.  

~

Blogger Lelly said...

FAR too busy to trawl through your entire HNT story, but your dog looks sweet, does he have an element of Staffie in him, perchance?  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! We had a cross between a greyhound and an Irish wolfhoundish. Totally quiet, placid animal, which ignored other dogs. We got molested one day by an alsatian. The alsatian attacked my dog. Big mistake since my dog killed things on moors every week. No messing. Straight for the throat. I was totally impressed. Get yourself a decent dog. Call it Fang. And get a shotgun. That would help! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Suze said...

At last I am able to comment. I have had to use Alex's pc which has Firefox installed.

Rob are you aware that you cannot click anything on your blog if you use IE?

I can't believe that guy coming straight at you when his dog is obviously angry. What an idiot!

Happy HNT sweetie ;)  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Suze - thanks for the feedback (and the patience to switch browsers), that's a major problem in the template, I'll get on to it now. XXX  

~

Blogger Regal said...

luv the pup - HHNT  

~

Blogger Lelly said...

Lawks Rob NOT Daniel Day-Lewis!!! Daniel CRAIG...THE NEW BOND!!! GAWD's sake! Where have you been!!!!
And he IS very gratifyingly half-nekkid in the clips I've seen!  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Lelly - THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP. We don't have James Bond here yet. Is that a TV program?  

~

Blogger Brown eyed girl said...

Now I am in Firefox...IE before!

Happy HNT!
~xo  

~

Blogger S said...

Boy, I know whatcha mean...I stopped taking my beast out in public years ago..one wrong look in the eye, and she'd be all over the other dog, kid, etc!
She's a stay at home kinda dog!
HHNT!  

~

Blogger Tammy said...

You sound like A Ceasar Milan fan. Always remember you are not a dog pack member, you are the dog pack LEADER. Great job with the pooch.  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

What is all this nonsense at the bottom of this post? All we want to know is: Does it work? If it doesn't, fix it! So it works! What a boy, you are! Hope this helps! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

That was really a scary encounter!
Glad it worked out ok for you.
Have a wonderful weekend!
~xo  

~

Blogger zomba said...

What can I say?

As I hope this picture shows, I the alsatian must have thought you were going to sledge him.

MM III  

~

Blogger Suze said...

Hi Rob, in answer to your question, I was using IE7 the other day.

Hope your Saturday is a good one.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

MM - is there no limit to the cricket in your life? You might have got on well with Nobis, a late friend of mine.

boo and suze - ta for the info  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page