open text

25 October 2006 at 16:36

i'm a blockhead

German marzipan comes in big blocks, about the size and weight of a gold bar, and coated in dark chocolate.

It's impossible to buy German marzipan here, so I'm going to make my own, by adapting this recipe:

European-Style Marzipan
1 cup blanched whole almonds
1 1/3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or rose water
2 tablespoons water
1 slightly beaten egg white


The recipe specifies nearly 4 cups sugar to 1 cup almonds. That can't be right. I'd rather hang on to my teeth.

If anyone has any experience, I could use come tips. I thought I would use rice malt instead of sugar, and I'll cut out the egg. If it's any good (and how could any marzipan not be?) I'll blog it.

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! That's just a big lump of sugar! Marzipan smells like dynamite (it's in my book Bomber!). Try carrying it onto the plane the next time you fly off the Unheard of Island. If you only get wounded, you can claim compen. That would help! Hotboy  

~

Blogger keda said...

and why are they trying to hide the amount of sugar by dividing it into 2 lines?? sneeky buggers.

i've never been a huge fan of our bright yellow marzipan.

but here in turkland they make incredible stuff!! it's coarse in texture, comes in little bite sized lups and is made of either almonds or (my favourite) pistachio. absolutely gorgeous and a delicacy priced to prove it.

soooo, i don't have a recipe on me right now, but i'll ask around and see if i can drum one up.
for me as much as you :)  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Hotters - how do you know what dynamite smells like? I'm passing your blog address to the Office Of UnHeard Homeland Security.

keda - pistachio marzipan! Why didn't I think of that?

BTW, congrats re the Nobel Prize for your novelist guy.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page