open text

31 October 2006 at 08:20

hallo E.N.T.

Tenuous title, I know.

While growing up I didn't often see the humorous side of my father, mainly because of the hostilities between us. But towards the end of his life we called a ceasefire, and I visited him at his wee island cottage.

Every evening he went out to the pub, while I would stay at his place until he returned after closing time. On Halloween, he disappeared to the pub as usual. Late that night, I was sitting watching TV when the electricity suddenly went off, the door opened slowly, and a turnip lantern appeared in the doorway, going "woooo" and swaying unsteadily in mid-air.



In some countries I believe it would have been a hollowed-out pumpkin, but in Scotland the tradition is to use a turnip instead. Cheaper too. You put a candle inside, and the light shines out through the eyes and mouth.

I enjoyed my father's little joke, and next day I insisted we take some photos.








My father didn't live long enough to see all the 3-letter qualifications after my name. Rob McJ, H.N.T., O.C.D., N.P.D. and R.D.D.


This is a freelance Taoist blog.
Every true story contains a wee lie.
And every lie contains a grain of truth.

Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

I'll have to switch to turnips if they're cheaper. There's always next year.  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! The top photie is a beaut! How did you get his head to go like like? Was it in the pickle barrel for a while? Did you chop it off when he was alive, or did you wait till he passed away? In any case, he still bears a striking resemblance to how you look now. It's uncanny! I hope this helps! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Lil Bit said...

Great pix, Mr. Taoist. ;)
Guess who's back... & throwing a Masquerade Party... and you're invited! =)

Happy Halloween!  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Halloween from the land of the tumshie  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

I have some of those same letters after my name Rob!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN...
LOVE YA,
LEE ANN
 

~

Blogger keda said...

i do love that picture!

though i'm having slighyly spooky deja vu ;)  

~

Blogger ion said...

Have any idea how laborious and dangerous it is to hollow out a neep? Pumpkins are born hollow, making the task so much easier. I bet Hallowe'en neeps put as many people in hospital as Bonfire Night.  

~

Blogger Suze said...

Great post and the images are wonderful. We also use turnips, they smell awful when you burn the candle inside them.

Happy HNT sweetie ;)  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page