open text

20 August 2006 at 19:32

novelist owns up

Until recently, most people thought that the worst thing about Gunter Grass was his work as a body double for Saddam Hussein.

Now the Nobel-prize winning novelist, has admitted he was in Hitler's SS as a teenager. He says that his public confession has been a great relief to him.

Of course now everybody's saying that the truth should have been obvious all along - his name even ends in "SS"!

There's another writer, a Scottish novelist, who has a secret past in the IRA Bellshill juniors. For obvious reasons I can't identify him, except by his operational codename of Madymira. I think going public would be a load off his mind, and might allow him to give up the self-flagellation.

Blogger Lelly said...

Hi Rob, just catching up. Cute pic of you in the sailor outfit...all the nice gels love a sailor..what a fortunate creature you are!  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say!

Is there no limit to this chap's impersonations? Eddie 'The Eagle'?

MM III  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! The Tim Drum is still a brilliant book! Also, the Pope was in the same boat. 17 year olds have no sense anyway! Also, I would like to own up now to my own nazi past. When I was seven years old I supported Glasgow Rangers. I could name the team yet! Where's your liebensra... stormtroopers now, eh? Hotboy  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Gunter Grass is a bad man,huh! His names begin with G ...could that be as significant as his last name ending with SS?
Ok, since you cannot tell about Hotboy, I won't either.
I hope you have a great week.
~xo  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

lelly - thank god you're back! Now I can get on with the six weird things, just as soon as I find a photo to turn it into an HNT.

MM - is that hotboy or Gunter?

HB - The Tim Drum - it was staring me in the face. Seven was a bit young for false consciousness, but then you are more advanced than the rest of us.

LA - GG - I'm sure you're right, it probably does mean something. But what? I'm sure it's staring us in the face. Geriatric gentleman? German gasman!  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page