open text

10 July 2006 at 09:26

don't tell me who won

The neck pain has pretty much subsided (I appreciated people's good wishes while I was out of it - what a fortunate creature I am!). So I'm trying a tentative post, though still using the cellphone to do most of the text entry.

I tried to watch the third place play off - the nicest thing you can say is that there were a lot of handsome faces (not on the German side, obviously).

The Aussies living here are hoping that Italy wins the final, cos that would mean Australia were only ever beaten by the world chapmpions, so Australia are second in the world.

Here on the islands, where the world cup happens in the middle of the night, TV stations like to mess with your head. They deliberately print the wrong times in the schedules, to make half the nation get out of bed too early, and sit through an hour of build-up (and ads).

My response is to set the video and watch it next day, fast-forwarding through the crap. But everything balances up, and the downside is that twice in the last week, I've been watching as the tape runs out at the 117th or 118th minute!

Well I've done it yet again when I taped the final last night. So until I see the repeat broadcast tonight, I still don't know whether Australia is number two in the world. Oh the suspense!

If I was a racist or a Little Englander, I would draw your attention to the fact that the final is between the very two nations whose World War 2 efforts were most pathetic. Is this progress?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your pain in the neck troubles.

I won't tell you who won.

I will remind you of Orwell's view that international sport is 'war minus the shooting'. He also said that sport is an unfailing cause of ill-will - provided your tape doesn't run out, you might be able to judge whether he was correct.

I have been watching football assiduously for more than 40 years - tonight I saw something which shocked me. As you watch the re-run see if you can guess what that was.  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

I am glad your neck pain has gotten better.
I didn't watch it, but I know who won..... I won't tell you.
:)  

~

Blogger keda said...

bugger! then i've got nothing to say yet.  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! France won! You heard it here first! I didn't watch it though it was on here as well! Bunch of buddhist monks watching the footie. Dearie me! Did you get enough hard drugs to make you think you were in California? No, Tibet won! TV is like real life, and films and dreams. Bunch of lying basturns the lot of them! How's that for enlightment? Don't crick your neck. It won't help. Hotboy  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say!

I thought that Sri Lanka won. Won the whole series, in fact.

MM III  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

hugs and kisses  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page