open text

29 June 2006 at 05:02

childhood HNT with sporran

As you can see from this pic of me aged about 10, I'm Scots, at least from the waist down. And the shadow on the grass proves that nothing is worn under the kilt.



People often ask me: "Robmcj, you're Scottish, what exactly is the point of a sporran?"

Well, the sporran is the pouch that you wear at the front of your kilt, for keeping your johnnies in (or if you're a kid, your cigarettes).

Another use for the sporran is in preventing attraction between males. A kilt without a sporran is just a skirt, and everybody knows that a drunken Scotsman will go for anything in a skirt. These guys forgot to wear their sporrans and look what happened:


Always use a sporran:


That's better.

Still on a Scottish theme, Lee Ann (now sadly retired from HNT) was kindly asking whether I am eating well while my partner is away. Well, I gave up eating porridge years ago, because I kept walking away from the kitchen and letting it burn. But this morning it was so cold here, I decided it was time to make some porridge to warm me up. I put it on the stove, and while it was cooking I came to the PC to blog for 2 minutes. Fifteen minutes later, the smoke alarm went off. Now I've got all the doors and windows open to clear the burning smell before the partner comes home. As a result, it's sub-zero in here and I'm colder than ever. You see? You try to warm yourself up, and the universe bites back. Everything has to balance.

Over on the other side of the island, thousands of daddy penguins have been huddling together for weeks, to keep warm and to protect their mates' eggs until the females return from hunting. Here on this side of the island, I've been trying to stay warm, while conserving sperm until the return of my partner. The island's balancing up.

PS - speaking of Scotland, Celti has a quite breathtaking blog design. And check out her subversive Navbar at the top. The blog takes a while to load, so you might be quicker just looking at her background picture. I hate to turn this into a backhanded compliment, but her actual posts aren't really my sort of thing.


HNT_1

If you missed previous HNTs, you can access all the old half baked thursday posts here.

Sources acknowledged.

Blogger keda said...

oh my word!!!

its a wickle willy shadow. sooo CUte!

hmmmmm men in skirts yum...

men in kilts yummylicious.

beautiful. thank you darling. thats my fix. i can stop surfing the web for all the tartan sites now for a few days.

http://www.cornish-tartans.co.uk
/images/david.jpg

happy hnt babe*  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! What happened to Wednesday? It's only Wednesday here (9:30 p.m.). I've never worn a kilt. I've never sat on a horse. Do your cross dressing chums ride horses? Bareback? In a kilt? Mnnn? That might help! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

I love that picture of you. I do remember it!
I love seeing men in real kilts (not skirts) :)

Thanks for the mention. Wish I could come take care of you til your partner gets back.

Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Cindy said...

I need to email this to my ex "lover" or whatever he was who was fond of running around in a "kilt". No sporran either. I fucking knew it!  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

keda - I think a Cornish tartan is known as a tablecloth. ;)

HB - I understand your side of the island adheres to Scottish time. Not my problem.

LA - thanks for the offer. They tell me I'm beyond help.

cinders - but was anything worn under his kilt?  

~

Blogger .- said...

WHAT A SHADOW!
great hnt post :)  

~

Blogger lecram sinun said...

The shadow does indeed know! Cheers and Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Phain said...

hmmmm...I learned something today ;) *~*Happy HNT*~*  

~

Blogger Suze said...

I love a man in a kilt, especially if I'm wearing patent shoes!

Happy HNT sweetie ;)  

~

Blogger Lelly said...

Sweet photo of you...but who are the other guys?? Weird (spelt correctly this time!) That men of all shapes and sizes can look good in a kilt! And talking of weird (spelt correctly again!)...WHERE'S YOUR LIST...or are we to draw our own conclusions from your posts various??(NO) HHNT!  

~

Blogger Celti said...

Ooh, thanks for the backhanded compliment. LOL Stick around though, man, my posts have really been sucking lately but it's an ebb & flow thing.

LOVE the kilt - the one with teh sporran, that is. ;)  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL that is a fantastic picture of you in your kilt, you always have the most inventive HNT's kudo's to you!!

I really like that camo one as well. hehe

~B  

~

Blogger Wenchy said...

Ahhh this was too cool. My FIRST husband was from Scotland.. Edinburgh... mmmmm LOL

Problem marrying the entire man when ya just loved the accent.  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say Mr RobMcJ,

You seem a tad proud of that shadow.

MM III  

~

Blogger lime said...

thank you for that education on the importance of sporrans! now tell me...the term for going without undies, regimental? fun fun pic. ty for sharing:) HHNT  

~

Blogger J said...

Now I've seen it all, nice dress ;-)  

~

Blogger Leesa said...

Gotta love a man in a skirt :P
HHNT!  

~

Blogger S said...

Excellent HNT! Very informative and um...interesting too!  

~

Blogger Sexy Duet said...

Great post - educational and men in kilts are always sexy. HHNT!
Ms SD  

~

Blogger Polt said...

okay...

#1 - what a cute, well endowed kid you were.

#2 - You guys need to kick a bit higher before the photo is taken

#3 - sporran or NOT, sweetie, I'd be all OVER the guy on the right.

#4 - HAPPY HNT!  

~

Blogger Fame said...

Men in kilts are HOT, enough said! HHNT!  

~

Blogger WDKY said...

Ha ha... very good. I like to start the day off with a big grin on my face, so thanks for that, Rob.

It's amazing, isn't it, that when you sit down to blog the minutes seem to accelerate to warp speed. How does that happen? Oh, and that's an impressive shadow for a... errrmm, wee bairn.

Happy HNT  

~

Blogger WDKY said...

PS I've decided that you're too funny not to blogroll. Hope you don't mind.  

~

Blogger Lelly said...

You've got more comments than me! Mind you it doesn't help that Keda and Hotboy haven't bothered to visit (me, that is) *sob!* Yes, I did get the comment re The Islands, ta! ;)  

~

Blogger Lil Bit said...

LOL!! Great HNT post!... and toooo cute pic of you as a lil boy.

Hey! The sporrans don't help w/the wind though, now do they? ;) LOL!

Happy Belated HNT & thx for visitin' me even tho I'm not playing this week.
*hug*  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

polt - thanks, though somewhere along the line I went wrong.

wd40 - I'm told I'm a sad bastard, but go ahead and blogroll me, I need any help I can get.

Lelly - thanks for swelling the stats still further. Come again any time.

Lil - what knid of wind do you reckon that was?  

~

Blogger Cindy said...

Anything under? He said "not usually."

(No defending him though. I'm mocking him, not all men in kilts.)  

~

Blogger viridari said...

OK I had to see who was leeching images off my server...

Just for a point of correction, the picture of me in the camo kilt that you posted does indeed have a sporran. The sporran is also camoflage and someone who isn't looking too closely will not notice it. But it is there.

You missed the better shot of me with the camo kilt...

(the img tag is not allowed, so here is the direct URL...)
http://yonderway.com/magnus/images/nati.jpg  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Thanks Mag, I do like that new photo, where you must obviously be wearing one. Appreciate your tolerance of my deliberate oversight. At least I was careful to acknowledge your site.

Awra best.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page