open text

06 June 2006 at 10:06

brushes with fame

Thank you to the wise people for their cautionary comments on the previous post. Because I beat cancer a long time ago I tend to assume I'm invulnerable and can do without common sense. I think the current expression is "extreme hubris". I should look at where it has got Bush.

What brushes with fame have you had? I once stood in an airport queue behind Peter Ustinov. And as hotboy knows, as a kid I shook hands with Muhammad Ali. He probably doesn't remember now. And I was once on the same plane as Leo McKern. He was so fat that they gave him two seats.



Isn't Galaxy Quest a brill movie? I had only ever seen it on a plane, constantly interrupted. It's not the reason why I like the film, but on more than one occasion my beloved partner has been stopped at airports and asked for her autograph. People reckon she looks like Sigourney Weaver. I must say (not just because she might read this) that I prefer my partner any day.

Angie, my previous partner was once mistaken for Meryl Streep. But of course one is never content, and I would really have liked a Kate Hudson (from "Almost Famous") lookalike. Nowadays since I look like a dog's breakfast myself, I'm happy with anyone who can stand the sight of me. That reminds me - see you Thursday?

And what brushes with fame have you had?

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! Seen Alien 2? The guy who played the marine commander who loses the plot at the start was in a radio play I wrote. He worked with Sigourney Weaver! That was close enough to fame for me! Hotboy  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i traded choruses with a grammy winner; Jeffrey Barnes.

of course all of his grammies are in the polka category....does that count?  

~

Blogger almax said...

I was a student at Dundee University when Peter Ustinov was the Rector and on one occasion I had lunch with him (along with 20 others at the same table) - (well, the truth is that I was at the far end of the table and unable to impress the great man with my witty repartee)....I don't want to overdo it but as a native of Campbeltown (near Mull of Kintyre) I went into a shop there circa 1967 and met Paul McCartney and his big dog 'Martha'(My Dear). I was 11 years old and he was probably the most famous person on the planet, and certainly the most famous person living on a farm a couple of miles from the town. Much gawping ensued. My heart still skips a beat when I think of it.  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Well, lets see, I have conversed in email, several times with Simon Townshend. I have met all of the Beach Boys. I was at a backstage party with the band Molly Hatchet. I have met many professional baseball players at the Spring Training in Palm Beach, Florida.
I feel sure there have been other brushes, but I cannot think of any at this time.
Oh, and I just want to say that I am glad you have survived cancer and so glad to know you.  

~

Blogger Lil Bit said...

I've had a few. Quite a few. =)  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

HB - did he lose it in your play?

RR - I think that's the winner, since you actually did something with a famous person. Unless Lil Bit supplies more details ...

Alastair - that's a good one, he probably still is one of the most famous on the planet.

LA - these people you have met are unheard of here on the UnHeard Of Islands. Hang on! Did you say all the Beach Boys? Wow! Is Brian really as mad as .. well, as certain visitors to this blog?

LB - I'll bet you have. Say no more. ;)  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page