open text

18 April 2006 at 17:36

after the long weekend, let the holidays commence

Just back from a 4-day holiday with our dog at Mrs. Omar's beachside shack. We were looking after her tripe-hound while she was away at the Flat Island Folk Festival.

Panda and Stu and their dog joined us for a couple of days, so it was dog pandemonium. Because of my Aryan background, the animals view me as the top dog - this means I get to shout at someone who actually takes some notice. But leadership is a big responsibility, as I discovered in my previous life too.

Spud's brother, Usuff, has a dark room in the cottage, where he photographs geometric patterns, using a camera and a torch on 2 swinging pendulums.

This is one of the pictures he made.


And here's how he does it:


There are more pictures, and if you want to know how he works out the right timing for swinging the pendulum, here's an example of his calculations. I don't understand it, but you might.

The long weekend was action-packed - we walked the pack of dogs for hours along the shore, swam in an icy sea pool, and watched lifesavers rescuing two half-drowned swimmers from the big surf. As we arrived at the beach, the boats were out looking for the second guy. The first guy was lying unconscious on the sand, and his swimming trunks had somehow fallen down around his knees during the rescue. I had my camera in my hand, and it would have made a dramatic HNT photo, but I decided to show some sensitivity for once in my life.

So instead, here's a picture of Buster and Lucy after they joined in the surf rescue and nearly drowned each other.


And here's my dog rock-hopping. She's an Australian sheepdog, can you see the kangaroo influence?


Back home now, and tired from all the activity and sea air, thank goodness I've still got 2 weeks off work, so I can take things real easy and put the finishing touches to this Thursday's FNT post. What a fortunate creature I am!

Now it's time to read and answer the backlog of comments that arrived while I was away.

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. The dogs are precious and are having so much fun. That geometrical shape is beautiful!
Glad you are back :)  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! The photie of the shapes is good, but I'm glad I don't have a camera (or a watch, or a motor). I wouldn't mind a dog. I've only got a dog's name. Jetsun. It should be the name of a travel company, but what the hell. It doesn't help at all! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! Reading about you being on holiday still is no use! I'm saving mine up for the summer and have to go in for a day and a half this week! What a liberty! Work is no help at all. Hotboy  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Neo, welcome!

The photographer guy is working on a computer program to produce the same shapes.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page