open text

06 March 2006 at 15:16

for balance

Apologies to the thousands of American readers who may have been offended by the previous post. In truth, I have a lot of affection for the American people and their country, a great place last time I was there.

When I spent a long hot summer in Michigan at age 11, my dear Aunt Ina lent me her treasured transistor radio for the duration of my holiday with her. At that time, transistor radios were super-expensive and hadn't hit Scotland yet. Every day in Detroit, I would go out to play with the local kids, with my wee radio. What a treat for a music-mad boy!

Whether playing baseball with Marty and Maynard Buszek, or stealing apples from the next door garden, or chatting with the 3 girls across the road - Edith, Missee and the third one - I would have my radio turned up loud.

In Scotland there were only 3 radio stations - one for news, one for classical, and one to entertain factory workers. They didn't play much pop. But in Detroit the airwaves were choc-a-bloc with AM and FM stations. And what did they play? "Hello Muddah Hello Fadduh", "If I Had a Hammer," and a magical new sound, called Motown.

The best record of the whole summer was "Fingertips," the debut of a child prodigy called Little Stevie Wonder. Hearing it gave me goosebumps, and probably still does. My aunt (the other aunt) said "that's not the sort of music you should be listening to," and I realised I wasn't going to grow up to be a nice boy.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wonder if i'll ever say that to my kid, somehow i doubt it

~some asshole who deleted his blog (again)  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! A lot of Germans went to the Mid-west.And made beer. What made Milwaukee famous, made a loser outa me! Was you auntie escaping justice to be with the boys from the old country after the war? I'm surprised I ever had the hots for her. Fancying dead people can't help surely  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

ray ray - do you know any more up-to-date ways to piss a kid off, that you can recommend?

HB - remember the German rellies never went to the U.S. It was the Scots Aunts and Uncles that fled the Ibrox clearances. Reading between the lines, I've worked out that you're angling for a pinup of a German aunt. I'll see what I can do.  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Well, I think you are a nice boy!
*giggle*
Rob, it sounds like great memories of your time in the states.
I remember that picture....You have a large right arm!!!! hehe  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Lee Ann - good to see you back here. I feared I had offended you by going on about Bush. Hope the gym routine is working out. "Working out" - you get it?  

~

Blogger The Rambling Taoist said...

Why would an American be put off by your previous post? I rather agreed with it.  

~

Blogger Marty B said...

long time ago. adolescent years in Detroit. i'm new at this blogging stuff. found this site by chance. the 3rd girl across the street was Lucy (Edith was the oldest, Melissa, the youngest).  

~

Blogger Marty B said...

long time ago. adolescent years in Detroit. i'm new at this blogging stuff. found this site by chance. the 3rd girl across the street was Lucy (Edith was the oldest, Melissa, the youngest).  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Marty! Fantastic to hear from you!

You may not remember me, but I sure remember you guys. I lived with my Aunt Jessie and Uncle George, across the road from you.

Now I remember Lucy too. Somewhere I have a photo of them, and one of you and Maynard. If I find them I can blog them. Or let me know if you'd prefer me not to.

Best wishes from Robert.  

~

Blogger Marty B said...

Sure do remember, you & your brother, Peter. I believe it was your great-aunt & uncle. Their name was Davis. Wow, the internet is a wonderful thing. I believe I found your company (business) e-mail address. I prefer to communicate through e-mail. Privacy. I informed Maynard of our re-connection. Home brew. Now that's the way to enjoy beer. Good beer is good. Bad beer is just bad beer.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page