open text

10 January 2006 at 08:48

HNT 11 - taoist shower bliss

This week I'm on my summer holiday in Sydney and I can't work up the energy to blog properly. Also, I'm naked most of the time and I can't be bothered putting half my clothes back on. So I'm raiding the photo vaults.



As I keep telling my buddhist fundamentalist friends, there's really no need to meditate: the easy path to bliss lies via alternating hot and cold showers.

Okay, you may scream for the first minute or two (quite therapeutic in itself), but then your body loses track of the difference between hot and cold, and the bliss sets in, lasting for hours afterwards. Apparently it works because the extremes of temperature balance each other out, and you achieve equilibrium in the middle.

You should try it. It's so simple! There's no need for all that time-consuming bliss-chasing, sitting still and breathing, or forcing your body into yoga poses.




Now here's a guy who's got the right idea. He was a hard-line buddhist fundamentalist until I suggested weaning himself off bliss-chasing gradually, by combining yoga, meditation and cold showers.

Eventually he's hoping to be able to manage on showers alone, and kick the other stuff. I hope he succeeds.

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! What a good idea! Go and sit under a shower when not meditating! This will definitely keep the flatheids away especially if you could find a waterfall to hide in. This is bound to help. Hotboy  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! I get it now with the shower thing. It's either public school or nazi boot camp, I can't remember which! Who cares though? As long as it helps. Hotboy  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Let me know when you try it. It could help you.  

~

Blogger lecram sinun said...

I remember doing that. Cheers and Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger lime said...

i did that with a bucket of ice and a bucket of hot water for a sprained ankle. the ice made me want to say very bad words. hehehe. anyway, either picture looks like great fun!! happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Blondie... said...

OMG... Hot & Cold showers?? Its almost as bad and eating a popscicle & drinking hot coffee... ;-)

What a fun post...hehe

Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Marie said...

Cold showers can be refreshing! These are great photos. Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger kimmyk said...

very cool pics!

i'm not one for cold showers though....especially in the middle of january. brrrr.  

~

Blogger Wenchy said...

water... medidate... sounds fab to me.  

~

Blogger Shauna said...

Fun shots!  

~

Blogger S said...

Wow! I love that waterfall thing...sortof takes your breath away, doesnt it? Happy HNT, and enjoy your vaction!  

~

Blogger Beth said...

Cool shots!!

HHNT, Sugar!  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Great pictures Rob! My dad always did a hot shower, immediately followed by a cold one. Said it was good for sealing up the clean pours of your skin.
Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say!

Never had a warm shower in my life, so I can vouch for everything you say.

MM III  

~

Blogger Spinning Girl said...

Theeeere ya go.
Now I want a bath.  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, serenity is not worth a cold shower to me, frankly.
The creature comforts are the path to my zen.  

~

Blogger David said...

Ooook...I will have to try that.

Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Chickie said...

The cold part seems to make my heart stop for a second.  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! Get it now! It's the heat! In hell's kitchen, it must be hot. From one hotboy to another, hope this helps. Hotboy  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking out blogs, and thought I would stop and read yours since we have some of the same interests and ideas. Some ideas are a little much and some are right on. I am glad I stopped by just to say hi I hope you don't mind. Some people consider it spam I DON'T but if they don't want people to post why do they leave it open for the world to see. I have some great yoga information and articles available for free around 2000 savings ideas so stop on in if you want... Thank you.bikram hot yoga

bikram hot yoga  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page