open text

08 December 2005 at 04:04

HNT 8 - the familyship of the ring

This is just to prove Lee Ann is not the only one who can do tasteful. Hotboy asked if I would post another banana still life, but he'll need to wait till next week.


My grandfather had identical rings made for his immediate family, and when he and his wife died their rings were handed on to my brother and me.

The 4 people left in the family only ever meet up once every 5 years or so, and this photo was taken at our last meeting, in Scotland in 2003.

They are signet rings, and they actually work - I once used mine to seal a letter to a lover with wax. Despite what the rings may say about my ancestor's social pretensions, I am proud to wear mine, especially here at the other end of the earth from my surviving family.

The design of the signet uses a Huguenot crest: rose, heart and cross. Once, I was on holiday in a 400-year-old French farmhouse, with a group of free range actors, bikers, musicians and head-cases (I'm not saying which group I identified with, but I don't bike or act, and I left my ukulele at home). At the time, I was breaking up with Angie, and trying to sell our flat in Glasgow via phone from France.

Anyway, under the old farmhouse kitchen, there was a dark dank cellar. And in the cellar floor there was a flagstone you could lift, leading to a tiny cell called a priest's hidey-hole. In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, genocidal French catholics chased most of the Huguenots out of the country, but a few brave souls chose to go into hiding in hidey-holes like this one.

To relieve his boredom, one of these fugitives had spent weeks or months carving this crest into the stone wall of the cell. When I saw that his handiwork matched my ring, I knew I was in the right place at the right time.


It is hundreds of years since the catholics chased these people into hiding, but some things never change. I know a catholic buddhist meditator who chases bliss in a cell.
HNT_1

Sources acknowledged.

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow, such a cool ring, and cool story. Those are great memories.
Thanks for the link...you are so sweet!
Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger lecram sinun said...

Beautiful and a great read! Cheers and happy HNT!  

~

Blogger lime said...

what a beautiful shot of the 4 rings, what a wonderful story and how great that you have this heirloom. really a wonderful post. happy HNT!  

~

Blogger S said...

Wow, that's really cool! Great story, lovely rings, and wonderful memories! Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Rose-Colored Beer Goggles said...

Thanks for sharing! I love the hands - even the wrinkles. They are proof of life experiences. Cheers :o)  

~

Blogger Butterfly said...

Awesome pics!

Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Wenchy said...

This is just so awesome. I feel all sentimental now.  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adolf! Zeig! Interesting stuff, but the photies didn't show on my machine. I'll try again later. Hotboy  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Hotboy - Blogger and/or the net has been slow tonight (day your time), maybe you need to wait while the pics download (also I should have made them a bit smaller, sorry).  

~

Blogger Just Brian said...

The pic of the hands is just awesome. Its my favourite pic for HNT today. The story is really special. Happy HNT  

~

Blogger Shauna said...

Love it. Very interesting.  

~

Blogger Quiet said...

That is a great story and the photo says so much. Excellent job.  

~

Blogger MamaKBear said...

Very cool ring and wonderful story behind it. Love the pic!
Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! The photies came up this evening alright! Are there only three folk's hands in the photie? Did someone in your family eat the other person and steal the ring? Hope this helps. Hotboy  

~

Blogger AndyT13 said...

Awesome! Happy HNT!  

~

Blogger Tess said...

That is a fabulous photo and a beautiful story.

Happy HNT!  

~

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent ring and a great tale to go with it. Happy (tasteful and interesting) HNT  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! Why did that chap stick the ring up his bum? Doesn't help me either. Hotboy  

~

Blogger Still Searching... said...

I absolutely love that pic. The hands...very nice indeed.  

~

Blogger Robin said...

That's a phenominal story. HHNT.  

~

Blogger Aisha T. said...

Wow! The pic was really cool but, the story behind it was amazing. Not pretentious but, something to be very proud of!  

~

Blogger jazz said...

that's amazing. knowing those rings are on in different parts of the world, connecting you all still...

so jealous! ;)  

~

Blogger MomThatsNuts said...

Happy (almost NOT thursday anymore) HNT....so awesome!!!

Mom  

~

Blogger Jaxe said...

Incredible photo Rob. Moving beyond belief. The wisdom in those hands and rings. Spiritual ;-) Great shot and happy hnt, brother!  

~

Blogger Logophile said...

Love it, what a great story to go with a wonderful photo, thank you!
Happy HNT  

~

Blogger kimmyk said...

That is a fabulous story!! And a beautiful ring. Very cool you used yours to seal a letter to an ex lover...memories huh???

So you and your brother have two...who has the other two?  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I say!

Wonderful thread!

MM III  

~

Blogger Jayne said...

Hey there! I forgot about HNT . . . I loved the picture, story and sentiment of your post. : )  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

kimmyk - the mother and her sister.

jazz - I've just realised, the rings normally live in 4 different countries - Scotland, Germany, Switzerland, and the UnHeard and McDonald Islands.

hotboy - Would you like to know what you can stick up your own bum?

ray ray - apologies re the IE/template glitches, thanks for persevering.

furzl - you're kind.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page