open text

06 October 2005 at 17:53

new disorder

I stumbled across a new book about Narcissistic Personality Disorder (definition: A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy).

How do you know if you are a sufferer? Apparently you just need to show five (or more) of the following symptoms:

  1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

  2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

  3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

  4. requires excessive admiration

  5. has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

  6. is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

  7. lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

  8. is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

  9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Luckily, I only suffer from four of the symptoms (3, 6, 7 and obviously 9), which apparently means I'm normal.

Source - Narcissism: Denial of the True Self



Game for today: Can you beat my score?


Solution to yesterday's trivia question (What else is special about the number 42?) - 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! I've definitely got that disease! I got the first five straight off and then 9 of course. Also, I'm working on the exploitative thing since you fixed my links. So I've got another disease. But this disease doesn't seem to hurt me and I think being King is compensation enough. Hope this helps. King Hotboy  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! I've re-evaluated my score on the test. The only one I haven't got is 8, which is about envy. How could I envy a flatheid? How could flatheids envy me since they do not know about ra bliss? Obviously, I have difficulty emphathising with a flatheid since they're really just dafties at heart.Apart from that ... well, eight out of nine. Look no further for the winner. Hope this helps me. Hotboy  

~

Blogger zomba said...

My Dear Robmcj,

Here's a way you can combine shark fishing, potty training and your other hobby.

MM III  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Mingin! Fab photie. Must be another miracle! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Gosh, I knew someone like that. I posted about her:
Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Oh, So smart!
I think you will stay the winner of that game, I could only get to 11.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

LA - about scoring highly at this game. It helps strengthen your mouse hand if you spend your formative years "waving", and more saluting. It also helps if you have your PC speakers turned up loud. My own score of 42 was a freak moment of oneness with the universe, I have never repeated it. Not even scored over 10 since.

HB - I never doubted you'd win this one. Is that one game each?

MM - great picture. Have you worked out your narcissism score? I'm not expecting anyone to beat HB, but the silver medal is still undecided. LA is obviously too nice a person to rank anywhere.  

~

Blogger zomba said...

I think we all suffer from #2 sometimes.

Anyway, my dear chap, I'd like to know whether there are any dangerous rabbits on the Unheards.

MM III  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page