open text

07 October 2005 at 17:00

age 30, footloose and maturity-free

Now that there's scientific proof that I'm not narcissistic, I can do another post about myself.

When I was 30 I met a nice girl with the same build and hair as the previous love of my life, but without the alcoholism. Great! So for a year we were devoted to each other. She liked cooking for me, and hey, I loved eating. I admired her intelligence and strong character. And her sobriety. But I was still immature and footloose, and after a year I went with a chum on a drunken Greek holiday, where a holiday romance sent me off on a new trail.




Soon after we had first met, a good friend took this photo, in Edinburgh at Festival time. It was in an ancient pub in the Canongate. It had a stone slab floor, all worn and uneven by the centuries, so you had to be careful carrying pints from the bar. George Melly was in the background but I've cropped him out to save space. In those days, designer stubble hadn't been invented, so I was just an unshaven slob.

I like the photo, you can see how my positive regard towards her was distracting me from my own demons. She looks shy and pretty.

There's much more of a story, but I'm loath to tell it, especially as I don't come out of it squeaky clean.

A few years after we split up, her parents sent me a very large wreath of flowers when they heard I had cancer.



A tune from the year the photo was taken : Today, by Talk Talk. The thinking person's Depeche Mode.

DISCLAIMER: any resemblance between anybody and anybody else is purely fictional.

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow, such a great picture. You are very handsome there. She is a very pretty girl as well!  

~

Blogger zomba said...

My Dear Robmcj,

Was that the concert George Melly gave up in Morningside in the mid-seventies? If so, I was there. We didn't have tickets, so blagged our way in by saying we were with the band. Somehow it worked. I sat next to Joan Bakewell until someone came to claim that seat.

It was an excellent concert, and afterwards, we went to George's dressingroom, and only left when he made passes at our womefolk.

MM III  

~

Blogger zomba said...

Sorry - obviously it was a different concert. Your one was in the Canongate, as I have just read the entry more carefully.

Did George make a pass at your girl?

MM III  

~

Blogger Heather said...

The pic looks like a shot from a classic movie. Your tale is probably as hollywoodesque I fathom. So "play it again, Sam"...  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! What a basturn you must have been! No wonder they sent you a wreath. You've left a trail of broken hearts with this cheap Mongomery Clift inner demons b.s. Still, as long as it worked for you. But this is more like it. More of the babes in brownshirts please. I don't remember you ever looking that good. What were you on, or was it one of these computery enhancement jobs? Hope this helps. Hotboy  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

LA - thanks, and for the plug in your interview.

MM II - that is spooky - Talk Talk were the thinking person's Depeche Mode; and Joan Bakewell used to be known as the thinking man's you-know-what.

Sadly, it was a different year, 1982. And I preferred George's books to his music. Besides, George was drinking in the pub, not performing. He may have made a pass for all I would know. I was blind to that sexual economy stuff in those days. Now I understand it, but am past doing anything about it. Everything balances out in the end.

Heather, thanks, but my lips must remain sealed. For one thing, the other party is now a litigation lawyer. True.

HB - my loss of the deathly appearance for a while happened to coincide with not seeing your good self for some years. Surely no connection?  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

HB - sorry for my emotional outburst earlier, it's a bot fraught here just now, with the out-laws from NZ singing hymns and sleeping all over the floor.

The reason you remarked on my appearance features in the photo is that I had just been through the ultimate rejuvenating experience, several years living away from Edinburgh.

Regarding the inner demons, I have resolved many of those in the meantime, and I no longer need to chase the bliss. I hope this helps.  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! You must have got the photie from someone else. A cousin? Also, Mingin!, George Melly was a homonyn till taken in hand (?) by his friend's wife (see Rum, Bum and Barnacles, or whatever his autobiography was called). He might mention the concert and how he had to get rid of folk by groping their girlfriends since the men all looked so rough, like Adolf! Maybe it was him not you. Some folk are just the wrong way round. Or is this a bit judgemental. Hope this helps. I've got a disorder, you know. Hotboy  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

HB - you are quite right to remind me that I only have 1.5 friends in the world, and one of them, the dog, cannot possibly have operated a camera.

Rum Bum and Concertina. I preferred the book about being on tour with jazz bands, I think that one was called "Owning Up". Do you have access to all these books in your job? I wish my teaching job had perks. They told me I'd be able to sleep with my students, but so far nothing. Do you get propositioned at all by your clients?  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page