open text

27 September 2005 at 08:20

shared interests across the great divide

Lee Ann was asking whether Hotboy and I have met before. Yes, at university we met through our shared interest in recreational brain damage.

We have remained friends for decades, despite being born on opposite sides of the tracks. I am from the privileged side of town, and I still feel guilty about being sent at age 2 to spend a year away from my family, in post-war Germany, where I had the mind-broadening opportunity to sample reconstruction cuisine. Amazing dishes created from sour milk, soap and seaweed.

On returning to Scotland, everything was handed to me on a plate - the social stigma involved in growing up half-German in post-war Britain, and the luxury of regular character-building beatings by parents, teachers, and school prefects. I was mauled by only the best breeds of upper-class dog.



In the playground I was a popular child, during war games when they needed someone to be ritually machine-gunned and called a "dirty Gerry."

Yes, I had it easy compared with poor Hotboy, who endured a childhood in a large, loving and well-adjusted family. It is to his credit that he doesn't let envy spoil our friendship.

Now we live on different sides of the world, but we still share interests. Like working only minimum hours in a regular job, and devoting the rest of the time to cheap and useful forms of brain damage. Mostly brewing and blissology.

Blogger Lee Ann said...

That is interesting! So great that you two have remained friends all of this time. I am confused as to where both of you live. I thought you are in Scotland, is he not in Scotland as well?  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

LA - good question, I even get confused myself sometimes. Hotboy lives in Edinburgh where the winter's freezing, that's why he has to spend his time generating heat. He once spent a year in Australia until they asked him to leave.

I escaped from Scotland to Australia, before basing myself in the UnHeard Of & McDonald Islands. Hotboy sometimes uses astral travel to visit here, I don't really understand how that works, he can explain all the buddhist technology.

I think that's the truth. Did you say you're in Birmingham Alabama? There used to be protests there, they should organise a demonstration against the supermarket queue abusers. ;-)  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! Did the doggy always stare at you like that? No wonder you turned out the way you did! That's enough to make anyone a bit strange. Still, you'd expect a doberman or an alsation, so it could have been worse. Hope this is helpful. Hotboy  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

Yes, I am in Birmingham, Alabama. The protests you are referring to were 1955 - 1965....civil rights. I was born in Iowa. I have also lived in Texas, New Jersey and Florida. Birmingham is beautiful, I will have to post a picture sometime. I would love to experience a new place...who knows, right?  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Lee Ann: The Unheard of and McDonald Islands are very nice. I am king of half of the Island and may take over the other half if I can get my penguins organised. We have a volcano so the folk who can't generate inner heat can keep warm in the bad weather. You could stay on Adolf's half of the island since he gets lonely due to not understanding emptiness. Hope this helps. Hotboy  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Heil! I have just looked at samsaramom's blog. Then at the photie of you being toilet trained. I was right!! Didn't think I was, but I am. What age are you being toilet trained at? One and a half!! Dogs staring at you and that! I'm surprised the fourth Reich didn't happen. Ask your maw the next time you see her what she was playing at. This must help, Adolf, because it's not your fault! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Zeig! I've asked Samsaramom to guess the age of the kid in the photie of the potty training. She'll have a better idea of the age since you forget with kids when you're not there. Hope she responds. This will definitely help. I offered once to tie Brian Wilson to a post on the allotment with no toilet facilities to help him. It would help you too! Do you have a great sense of smell? I bet you do. I can't smell anything much. Sure sign nobody cared about shit in my hoose. Hotboy  

~

Blogger Lee Ann said...

There you go HB, cracking me up again. Thank you for the invitation of staying on the "other" side of your island. Sounds really cold there. I am glad I have a fireplace here, so I won't have that problem :) I don't have an island to offer, but you can come sit by my fireplace! :)  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

LA/HB, I haven't time right now to respond to all these comments, as I first have to research some more material on potty experiences with sniffer dogs.  

~

Blogger zomba said...

Just out of curiosity, is the author of this Open Taxt blog on the left, or the right, of that photo?

MM III  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

MM - that's not such a silly question. If you asked my parents, they wouldn't know the difference, except that one of them was a fast learner.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page