open text

19 July 2005 at 11:20

the power of no

As I had expected, after my interview a couple of weeks ago, they were all smiles yesterday as they offered me the job.

The job itself is an impossible one to do properly, for various reasons including contradictory guidelines and conflicting expectations. People who take on the job usually last a year or so before choosing early retirement or changing jobs.

I turned them down as politely as I could, when what I really wanted to say was "I wouldn't do that awful job if you paid me double, and I'm certainly not going to take it just to help you out, I just wouldn't put myself through the stress."

Once they realised that I wasn't playing along, their faces clouded over and they lost all interest in prolonging the conversation, trying to edge me out the door. But I wasn't having that, so I took control by asking them about themselves and how their work was going. I got them talking for a while, then I was the one who brought the meeting to a close.




picture: 1980s job stress

Blogger Jess said...

good for you! I don't need a babysitter but thanks for the gracious offer. But if i ever find myself longing for one i'll know where to go. But i think you'll have to get in line cause that anonymous guy apparently wants a date :)  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Well done in avoiding the gainful employment. Definitely don't believe in that! Also, it'll leave you more time for boxing training. There might be a fight coming up! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! No posts! No photies! Have to comment on this one! Okay, how's this for a caption.
"Okay, I won't stangle you if you'll speak to my mother."  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Hotboy. Thanks for the caption, I'll send it to my mother to teach her peace of mind.

I didn't think it worth my while posting much just now, there's been a mass exodus of 95% of my readers to monasteries.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page