open text

16 July 2005 at 18:08

countdown

I once went to a swimming pool, where they had a notice on the wall in the changing room, warning swimmers they weren't allowed to swim within 21 days of having diarrhoea. I found myself wondering how many times people would have seen the notice, got dressed again and gone back to the cash desk for a refund, explaining "I had diarrhoea 17 days ago."

I pictured recently-dysenteric people all over the city, counting down the days until they could legally swim again: 4, 3, 2 - oops, I shouldn't have eaten that curry, now it's back to 21 again!

This post is just an excuse to show off that I can spell diarrhoea.



Blogger Hotboy said...

Was there someone at the side of the pool trying to hit you with a big stick? Hotboy  

~

Blogger Heather said...

I'm not wearing my glasses - but as I squint at the picture of the swimmer I think "why is there a pic of a chinese dude...and why in a post about poop? What does that mean...really?" Too many deep thoughts this early in the morning.

Yes, you do win the award for spellng...die-ah--ree-ahhh! And its the very fact that I am not wearing my glasses that I make no attempt to spell it.

And I would tell you about one of my kids having it while taking a bath - but I'll save you from such a fate.

~h  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

hotboy - perceptive as always - yes, there's a brown-shirt swimming teacher called Herr Scheer (Mr Scissor) just out of shot, but you noticed the end of his fishing net for use whenever I was on the verge of drowning.  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

heather - I suspect the chinese dude that you saw is me, aged about 8. Either the cold was making my face shrivel to Asiatic proportions, or your glasses are quite strong.

You Buddhists, you and hotboy, are indeed perceptive - there was something amiss. I had planned to relate a formative childhood swimming experience, but ran out of time so I just bundled the pic in with that (non-)swimming post.

I think you're right not to go down the bath path for now, it's probably best left to the imagination, otherwise I'd have to tell you about the emergency alert at my local pool, where swimmers were ordered out in a hurry due to the mystery appearance of an unattributed object at the bottom.  

~

Blogger Jess said...

that is the most hilarious thing I have read all day :)  

~

Blogger Hotboy said...

Adolf! Pink and Roses is only 130 lbs. Probably light or featherweight, but definitely in your weight range. How abour organising a boxing match on the beach? Just don't mention the war and watch out for her reach: tall for a lighter weight! Hotboy  

~

Blogger Jess said...

how did you know how much i weighed??? That's pretty darn close. I'll take anyone on.Just show me when and where... Can you make sure no one hits me in the face though. I'm really vain. If you didn't read my "about me" it clearly states "I like looking at my own reflection".  

~

Blogger onan the bavarian said...

Pink and Roses. If I looked like you, I'd spend plenty time in front of the mirror too. Since I look like a war criminal I tend to avoid mirrors, and I use a dog photo in my profile. Hotboy has no photo at all, he is similarly afflicted.

Your User Profile says that unlike me you're a really bad speller, but you'll get there too if you keep trying. Start with something simple and gradually work your way up to diarrhoea.

PS about guessing your height, hotboy is a RaBlissian, which gives him psychic powers.  

~

Post a Comment




Who Links Here
Who Links Here (short form)

Where people click from:
Locations of visitors to this page